FAQ & Resources (To see resources - scroll down)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is individual, couples or family counseling?
- It is an interpersonal relationship in which you will work with a trained therapist in a safe non-judgmental environment. Counseling can be a turning point where you explore yourself, reflect and create goals so you achieve a more satisfying life. Counseling may take the form of individual therapy (1 person and the therapist), couples therapy (2 people)/ marriage therapy and family therapy (several people and the therapist) session.
Do you take insurance?
- I do not take insurance and that increases your privacy. However, you will get a receipt you may submit to your insurance company for any reimbursement (PPO Out of Network) for your counseling and therapy session. Insurance companies require that I give you a diagnosis of a mental disorder which will be part of your record on file. Some insurance plans will also dictate your therapeutic journey by limiting the amount of therapy to certain amount of sessions.
The fee per 50 minute session is $180 (Individual) $200 (Couples/Family), however, many of my clients schedule longer sessions depending on their needs. If you decide to do a double session, 90 minute session etc - then the fee is prorated.
What is your fee?
How long will I be in Therapy?
- The therapy process and duration of sessions vary depending on a variety of factors such as your unique issue as well as your desired outcome. Some will remain in individual therapy or couples and family therapy for a few months and others will continue longer. Throughout your counseling experience and therapy sessions, you and the therapist may adjust and change the frequency of the psychotherapy.
What can I expect from therapy - how to do therapy?
- Individual, couples and family therapy works best when you are open and willing to the process. Counseling may include self exploration, emotional relief and making changes may be some of the things you will get out of therapy. Seeking counseling from a professional therapist does not mean there is anything "wrong" with you or your family. It is an opportunity to grow.
How long is a session?
- A counseling session is typically 50 minutes. If you wish to extend your individual, couples, partner or family session - options are available to extend length of the counseling session. Some clients find it easier to schedule appointments that are longer than 50 minutes.
How do I make a counseling appointment?
- To schedule a counseling appointment you may contact me by calling (949) 287 3415 or use the contact form. Please let me know if I may leave you a message. As a therapist I respect the privacy of my clients, even if it is individual counseling.
What is your specialty?
- My specialty is family building and I have a special interest in providing help for the non-biological lesbian mother / non-biological gay fathers and the non gestational parent (NGP). Furthermore, I have an interest in helping people going through a devastating divorce or break up. I am multilingual and speak Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, German and English.
Do you see clients with other issues than your specialties?
- Yes, I do see clients with a variety of issues ranging from career issues, conflict resolution, diversity, infertility, infidelity, parenting, relationship issues, self-esteem and more. Please contact me if you have questions in regards to scheduling a therapy session.
Do you do skype or Web cam sessions if I am in another state?
- Yes, I do provide Life Coaching support if you are outside of California.
On this page you will find resources and links that are helpful for the LGBT Community and LGBT friendly
National Suicide Prevention Life Line
1(800) 273 8255 and live chat available online www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR)
Achieving LGBT Equality through litigation, legislation, policy and public education.
Phone: (415) 392 6257 Legal Help Line: 1(800) 528 6257
You may also visit National Center for Lesbian Rights' website: www.nclrights.org
National legal organization for the LGBT community
National Help Desk Phone: 1(866) 542 8336
National Help Desk Email: email@example.com
You may also visit Lambda Legal's: website: www.lambdalegal.org for more information and resources
Legal Aid Society of Orange County
1(800) 834 5001 or visit their website www.legal-aid.com
Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays - Support, education and advocacy.
National website: www.pflag.org
Local Southern California PFLAG (Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays)
Long Beach & Orange County website: www.lbpflag.org
Long Beach PFLAG (Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays)
For the local Long Beach chapter please click HERE (meetings every 2nd Wednesday of the month in Long Beach)
Orange County PFLAG (Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays)
For the local Orange County, CA chapter please click HERE (meetings every 1st Wednesday of the month, in the City of Orange)
South Orange County PFLAG (Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays)
For the local south Orange County, CA chapter please click HERE (meetings every 3rd Wednesday of the month in Laguna Hills)
The National Domestic Violence Hotline
1(800) 779 7233 and live chat available online www.thehelpline.org
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) in Orange County
24 hour phone line: (714) 556 4555
Human Rights Campaign
The largest national lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights movement. They have resources, local events and more listed on their website.
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
"The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force builds the political power of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community from the ground up. We do this by training activists, organizing broad-based campaigns to defeat anti-LGBT referenda and advance pro-LGBT legislation, building the organizational capacity of our movement and generating groundbreaking research through our Policy Institute." www.thetaskforce.org
The LGBT Center Orange County
"For over 40 years The Center OC has been advocating on behalf of the Orange County LGBTQ community, working to ensure its well-being through a wide variety of programs and services."
The Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center
"A broad array of services for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community"
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)
"GLAAD, the nation's lesbian gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) media advocacy organization, was founded in 1985. GLAAD promotes understanding, increases acceptance, and advances equality."
California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS)
The BBS is responsible for consumer protection through the regulation of LMFT, LCSW, LEP, LPCC, ASW, MFT Interns (IMF) and Professional Clinical Counselor Interns (PCCI) in the State of California.
There is HOPE even during STRUGGLES
You are NOT alone!